Sunday, January 3, 2010

Alcohol Wish List

At the moment I reside in a state that doesn't allow consumers to purchase alcohol online. This makes it more difficult for me to buy different wines/beers/liquors that I can't find locally. In a few cases this isn't a bad thing: Sagatiba Preciosa is a cachaça that would run me nearly $300 if I acted on all my desires. That same company's two year cachaça however, is only around $35 and probably far superior to any similar product I can find in Lexington, KY. So I have two wish lists: one that is ridiculous, and one for which I might need an out-of-state mailing address.

The ridiculous list:

Sagatiba Preciosa
According to alcademics.com, a distiller put 10,000 liters of cachaca into five giant cognac mixing casks (2,500 liters each) in 1980 to see what would happen, but then died in 1982. Over 20 years later in 2006 the Sagatiba folks pulled it out, filtered, and bottled it. There were 3,300 liters remaining out of the original 10,000, hence the steep price tag of $300 if not much higher.





Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 23 Year Bourbon. $300
or
Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 Year Bourbon $170

Some of the oldest bourbon on the market, and definitely the oldest wheat bourbon available (when you can find it), Pappy Van Winkle's line is known for being the highest quality bourbon. I'm a big fan of wheat bourbon, of which there are only five lines. My favorite, W.L. Weller 12-year, was recently taken off the market to expand their 7-year sales. Though it probably wouldn't be able to replace the Weller 12-year cost-wise, sipping on Pappy 23 year would be a sweet way to celebrate (eventually) leaving Kentucky.

Regular old list:
W.L. Weller 12 year.













Pitu Cachaça

1 comment:

ruouhennessy said...

The great and impressive article gives you a very good experience of this wine, thanks for sharing the fascinating information about these extra-fine wines.